Skip to main content

Advice to a younger me


Advice to a younger me

By Daryl M Williams

Full disclosure….

…I haven’t always been a model employee. Sometimes the truth hurts but writing that doesn’t hurt me although I know I have potentially prevented myself from achieving in some areas and opportunities in other areas. How is not important and you don’t have to tell me how you may have sabotaged yourself but knowing is half the battle.

Right?

So, what would a mature Daryl tell a younger Daryl? Lots of things, like Peeps really don’t taste good, avoid certain types of beverages and try and align your jobs with your career. Please see below for some relevant specifics:
  • Learn at every opportunity: Whether from a direct report, peer, customer or leader make sure to take the opportunity to learn. I think I’ve done this for the most part but it is worth mentioning and I certainly could do it better.
  • Don’t take things so personal: Now I come across nice enough, in fact a former co-worker once told me “Every time I see you, you have a smile on your face.” I’d rather be happy than not, seems obvious but I’m not sure it is and back to my point about taking things personal. I seem nice enough but I try to use fuel to fire me and focus me at every turn and sometimes that can result in taking things personally. ‘Why didn’t that person respond when I said hello?’ ‘Why aren’t I on that project?’ Fuel yes, but don’t let it turn you into Oscar the Grouch. Get over it. Luckily I believe I have but as before, I can certainly do better.
  • Take on every project and act as if it is the world’s greatest and biggest opportunity. I worked for an organization that modeled its Learning & Development function after Motorola University, MU, and I took nearly EVERY opportunity I could to attend a training session. I figured this would benefit me down the road even if I did not know it at the time. As I grew into other positions and other organizations, I was less zealous and while there can be a fine line between being an active learner and attending EVERYTHING and saying no, I encourage you to take advantage of the training offered and use the time wisely especially if it is a skip level meeting, meaning some big wigs will also be participants. Learning and relationship building, does it get better?
  • ALWAYS be early. Let’s just say this has not always been the case.
  • NEVER be late. See above.
I could go on but this is a good start and information I will look to share with anyone interested in listening. So pay it forward and help someone avoid the mistakes you made.

Daryl M Williams, MBA, M.S., is an adjunct professor, teaching Career Planning and Management as well as being a Career Coach. He is passionate about providing information to assist friends, family, students, alums, and even frenemies (really) in professional development and uses his management experience in Fortune 500, non-profit and private corporations to inform his decisions. Feel free to connect via LinkedIn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Wait Till Eventually?

Why Wait Till Eventually? By Daryl M. Williams December 18, 2012 If I had a $1 for every time I heard a student or client indicate they were going to wait until they graduated or until the holidays were over before beginning their employment search, I would have a nice down payment on a near luxury vehicle. Here’s the thing, folks: it really is a myth that hiring stops during the end of the year. We HAVE to go forth and conquer because depending on where you look you will find data suggesting that the average time it takes to earn a new job is 6 months to 1 year. For example, an article at AOL indicates the average time is 7 months. AOL Job Length Think about that in terms of YOUR job hunt YOU just pushed back until you graduate one year from now. If you thought you would waltz from the classroom to the boardroom you may be in for a huge, unwelcome surprise. The same applies to the holidays in terms of assuming companies are waiting. Here’s the thing, I get it. Peopl
Marketing 101: You are the Product By Daryl M Williams Think back to the past several Super Bowls and some of the companies that produced commercials. At the end of their 30-60 second spot, you had no idea what service or product they were introducing or selling. DON’T be those guys! Even GoDaddy.com, a seemingly successful and newsworthy company is an example NOT to follow. Why? Well for one thing, they relied on your desire to research them further by going to their website, routinely ending commercials before you knew what was being sold. It worked for them but unless your résumé offers truly captivating content, ending it before you’ve sold the connection  between your experience and the role you are pursuing is a sure fire way to hear crickets from that job you applied for. How do you avoid being those guys? Glad you asked and here are some tips: ·          AVOID the empty rhetoric such as: o    Keen eye for detail o    Strong communication skills, writt

Typecast Part 2

Typecasting: Make Lemonade out of those Lemons daryl m. williams January 14, 2013 Typecasting happens. Last Friday this is how I started my post titled Typecasting: The Negative. I also provided a definition, which has returned for another week, see below. Let’s start with what it is, per Google it is defined as: typecast  past participle, past tense of type•cast (Verb) Verb 1. Assign (an actor or actress) repeatedly to the same type of role, as a result of the appropriateness of their appearance or previous... 2. Represent or regard (a person or their role) as a stereotype: "typecast by their accents". That is where the similarities end and now I want to talk about being typecast and how you can use that to your benefit. In a 2003 MIT study, MIT Sloan 2003, Professor Ezra Zuckerman looked at how actors are typecast and made comparisons to the work world most of us inhabit. Among his findings were: • “Typecasting can provide a route into the industry” • “I